Thursday, December 4, 2008

Things that make me smile!

December 2, 2008

Hey! I just thought I would start by sharing some really cool things that have just happened. I guess if I had to put a title on this, it would be “Things That Make Me Smile”. Our receptionist at our headquarters in Nashville handed me a summary of her conversation with a woman who called in to ask for help for her granddaughter. I thought it was so cool that I wanted to share it with you:

Nancy, I just thought you might like to know that I received a call from an older lady named Billie. She said that she was at a bookstore and the young woman working there was named Erica. Erica began to share her personal story of how she was able to find freedom from an eating disorder she had struggled with for 10 years. This lady, Billie, said the testimony was so powerful that at the end of her sharing, Billie asked her where she received help. Erica then told her that it was through Mercy Ministries. Billie went on to tell her that her own granddaughter is now struggling with the effects of sexual abuse from her childhood and called to receive an information packet and any free resources we could send. Billie raved about the power and freedom evident in Erica’s life. She kept saying, “I wish you could have heard Erica, it was just incredible and I know God purposed my meeting her and hearing her story. I don’t believe in accidents or random chances.” I told Billie that we are so encouraged to hear when young women are going on from Mercy to share what the Lord has done in their lives with others and are speaking true hope and freedom into the lives of others who are hurting. Way to go Mercy girls….keep sharing your story! We are sending an information packet and a copy of Violated: Mercy for Sexual Abuse for Billie to give her granddaughter. -Brandy (Mercy Receptionist)

I never get tired of hearing about how former residents of Mercy are able to impact others in their everyday lives just by sharing their stories. I love the way that God connects people for his purposes, I love the way God forgives us of our mistakes, and I love the way God loves us unconditionally. I could go on and on but I’ll stop here on this story because I have something else I want to share with you.

I was just over at the Nashville home (located next door to our office headquarters) because we had a guest speaker today. We had a really great time and the girls were really pumped about what they heard today. I was headed out and one of the girls stopped me and said, “I just got so much out of what I have learned the last couple of days that I decided to write a poem about it, and I wanted to share it with you.” I was taking our guest speakers out to lunch, so when we got to the restaurant, I pulled the poem out of my purse and told them that one of the girls handed it to me on my way out, and we read it together. We all got teary eyed at just how cool it was to see this girl express her self. This poem is so beautiful and this girl obviously has a gift. This is what she wrote:

Mercy Girls

Mercy girls are like a rose,
slowly but surely they unfold.
When the rain falls they glow
from droplets of troubles only God knows.

They blossom into their beauty:
the way God created us to be.
Magnificent, crimson reminders
of our constant, powerful Provider.

And I will stretch my petals,
unfold the masks I hide behind.
I won’t be blown down by my troubles.
I will keep His Word constantly in my mind.

So courageous are my sisters
for following the direction of their Father.
Roses for His glory, for all to see
their amazing shades of beauty.

By Brooke, December 2008


I got so excited about this that I spoke to our program director about bringing someone in to help develop the girls’ gifts in the areas of art and poetry. We are now starting to have regular art classes for the girls so that they have different ways of expressing themselves. As I continue blogging with you, maybe I will be able share some of what comes out of these classes and let you hear from some of the girls about how their lives are being impacted.

These are things that make me smile – just the joys of everyday life knowing that God has promised in Philippians 2:13 that He is the One who works in us both to will and to do His good pleasure. I hope wherever you are and whatever you are doing, that you will let God work in you as well. He is so cool, and He meets us right where we are…every time!

Until next time,

Nancy

0 comments: