Friday, July 2, 2010

Female Addict Bound for Thirty Years – Set Free in One Day!

It’s been almost two years since I had the privilege of proclaiming liberty and freedom from the stage of GodChicks to those who were in the audience. I remember specifically telling everyone there that day that if there was anyone struggling with life-controlling issues such as addictions, eating disorders, cutting, etc. that freedom is available. I specifically remember sharing Deuteronomy 30:19 “this day I set before you life and death…choose life…”

I don’t fully understand how God’s power works, but I do know that He promised us if we would go forth and proclaim His Word that He would watch over His Word to perform it in the lives of people. I challenged those there that day to CHOOSE LIFE!

It was a short time later during the break that the ushers at GodChicks brought a woman over to me who had a black bag full of drugs and drug paraphernalia. I remember specifically that she gave the bag to me and cried out, “I want life!” It was then that I had the privilege of praying for her and leading her to the God who brings freedom. A few weeks later, on October 15th, 2008, I received this email that I want to share with you…
Dear Nancy,

I met you at the September 20 GodChicks conference in LA. I am a 42 year old victim of sexual abuse. I was a drug addict for 30 years. I came to you (with my black bag) to fully surrender my addictions over to Jesus Christ as my last attempt to rid myself of that hell. You prayed over me at the altar at the church AND I HAVE NOT DONE DRUGS SINCE. I gave you my black bag that was full of paraphernalia and drugs. That was the last time I ever wanted drugs again. Jesus took it away from me. YEA!!

YOU HELPED JESUS SAVE MY LIFE AND I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU. I have you in my prayers every night and have shared my testimony with many of the people at Oasis Church in LA.
Because of you and the GodChicks, and of course Jesus, I WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN!!!!!

Thank you so much for the powerful words you said to me that day. I am truly free. And now that I am clean from drugs, instead of hiding from the world in fear of my next relapse, I have the power and love and sound mind of Jesus Christ!

30 years I walked with the monkey on my back. NOW IT IS GONE!!!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU and God Bless You ALWAYS!!!

Denise

PS - I have since started sifting through the garbage in my life that sexual abuse created. I am doing bondage breaking with 2 women at Oasis and actually have for the 1st time in my life the hope of being a normal person, ready to be a contributing factor to God's Kingdom.

You are truly a special woman, and after God has finished making me whole, I would like to donate some time to helping you with Mercy Ministries.

I AM a child of God
Warrior Princess
Daughter of the King!!!

D~Vine

Fast Forward to this Week – Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I knew that if Denise continued down the path of freedom, that I would one day have her share her story at one of our Mercy Ministries homes. The time came this past weekend as we made the journey to Sacramento, after experiencing the GodChicks conference in L.A. together. It was there that Denise shared her story publicly for the very first time. Her words were so powerful as she touched the hearts of the 40 residents that are currently in the Sacramento Mercy home. I want you to see pictures from that very special time. It was so awesome to see the power that comes when we make a choice and the freedom that follows us as a result.

Denise hanging out with some of the girls after sharing her testimony!

On this weekend when we choose to celebrate our freedom as a nation, I want to emphasize the freedom that comes through the power of the cross of Jesus Christ. If you are reading this, and you are bound by anything at all, I want you to know that you can be free. Just like Denise, remember what Deuteronomy 30:19 says, “I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live.”

Me and Denise two years later…

Hope you have a great weekend. If you want to comment on this story, please post as I know Denise would sure love to hear your encouragement!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally blown away and desperate to see more of the transforming power of the Holy Spirit in beautiful lives like yours. God promises beauty from ashes! All that is thrown at us to destroy us God will use for the glory of His Kingdom!

Shaina said...

Wow! I remember hearing this story from Nancy when i was in the nashville home, and it was so encouraging. Keep on walking out your freedom and being an example of God setting ppl free!

ash said...

that's so awesome to be able to see this woman who you've spoken about =) wow. her story- amazing!

Journey_On said...

I am so glad that you chose life, Denise! What a great testimony.

Cassandra said...

Wow - Very inspiring and hopeful :) It only takes ONE CHOICE, one good choice, to change EVERYTHING...