Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Update from St. Louis Graduate…

I just received this awesome update from a 2006 Mercy Ministries graduate and I wanted to share it with you. Emily came to Mercy struggling with an eating disorder and self-harm, yet willing and ready to face her issues and allow God to totally transform her life. I hope this update from Emily encourages you as much it encouraged me…
Nancy,

My name is Emily and I graduated from the St. Louis home at the end of 2006. I felt led to write you this email to thank you for the impact that Mercy Ministries has had on my life and to let you know the exciting things that God is doing in my life. I came to Mercy struggling with bulimia and self-harm, amongst other things, and I was at Mercy for 13 months. I was one among the first group of girls to enter the St. Louis home, and I am so thankful that God knows exactly what He is doing at all times. There is nothing that happens in our lives that He does not have a specific, divine purpose for and the ability to use if we will let Him. I wanted God when I came to Mercy. I knew God and I loved God, but I struggled with my flesh and lived under incredible bondage in my emotions and in my thinking. I am certain that the process took longer than it had to because God was working on my heart. I am so thankful that the staff were patient with me and listened to the Spirit of God. They did not give up on me, and that showed me that God really never does put us down and walk away.

When I graduated, I was not the same person that I was when I came to Mercy. I could smile. I had hope. At one point during my time at Mercy, I hit a wall in counseling, and I remember my counselor telling me that I needed to seek the Healer and not the healing. Mercy is not a program where you go to become a perfect, completely healed person when you leave. It is a process - a daily walk with the Lover of your soul. God has been so faithful to me. I was blessed to go to a place after Mercy where I could start a new life (Carlisle, PA). I am in a great church with really good teaching. I have been working at a hospital as an administrative assistant in the Risk Management department for almost 4 years now. I am teaching a Bible Study for teen girls and have spoken at two women's retreats that my church puts on annually. I was also able to go to Africa on a mission’s trip in 2007. My pastor's wife has been so instrumental by investing her life into me and teaching me how to live. She has been a strong mentor who is not afraid to speak the truth in love and is not sentimental with my flesh. I am seeing God work through my life and I realize now why God allowed me to be at Mercy for so long. When I am tempted to give up on people who don't seem to be getting it or who don't seem willing, there is hope. I am convinced that NOTHING is impossible with God. I want you to know that the tools that Mercy has provided are invaluable to me, and the way God has used Mercy in my life is everything to me. Thank you for your obedience and your faithfulness! Please extend my gratitude to all of the staff at Mercy Ministries in St. Louis!

In His Strong Arms,
Emily
I am so proud of Emily! Remember that no matter what you’re facing today, God is there for you just like He was there for Emily.

Have a great day!
Nancy

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Seek the Healer and not the healing." That is amazingly true, and I never thought of it that way before. Awesome!