Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Choices

This week I am actually in Nashville, and I am so enjoying being at home! I have the privilege of traveling around the world speaking at conferences and doing ministry business. However, my favorite thing even after 26 years is to have the time to speak to the staff and girls in the individual homes. I love not only teaching them, but I also love spending time with them. It always amazes me how much the girls change in such a short period of time.

Last week, I was in the UK speaking at the Cherish Conference, and I just returned over the weekend. I had the awesome privilege of teaching class to the residents and staff on Monday. It was a lot of fun, and it was so great to reconnect with them. I got to share with them all about my trip to the UK and about all of the exciting things that happened there.

The topic that I felt like God laid on my heart to talk about was choices. So many times in our lives, we make choices that we regret later. I challenged the girls to remember what Deuteronomy 30:19 says - that God gives us a choice, and we can actually choose life! I encouraged the girls to take responsibility for the things that had happened in their lives that weren’t so good as a result of bad choices made in the past. I encouraged them to let go of a victim mentality, and to understand and know that when they ask God to forgive them, they get a new beginning.
It says in 2 Corinthians 5:17, “If any person be in Christ, they are a new creation. Old things are passed away, all things are new.” I encouraged them that through the power of the choices that they make from today on, they can actually enjoy good things that happen as a result of the choices they are making. It seemed so liberating to these awesome young women that they do not have to stay stuck in their past, that their past does not define them, and that their past does not have to destroy their future. The girls were encouraged to know that they have the freedom to make good choices with God’s help. It was a really special time and awesome to be back home. I wanted to share some of the pictures from that day, as well as some of the comments from the girls.
“What impacted me the most from this message was that I should not always make decisions by the way I feel, but by what God tells me is best. When God’s light comes in, the darkness is pushed out. When you choose to look to God, He will help you.” – Nakea

“What impacted me the most from this message was that we can choose to live defeated or victorious. Jesus loves us and wants the best for us. We have to choose to receive Him freely. I plan to implement this by seeking and following the Lord’s direction, and by realizing that my choices everyday can have a long term effect on my life.” - Brandy

“We cannot use our old life as an excuse to ruin our future. We have to make the Word personal and hide God’s Word in our heart. When we hide the Word in our heart, our desires will change. Unforgiveness is not a feeling; it’s a choice that we have to make. I plan to implement this information by digging into the scriptures we went over today in class.” - Andrea

“What impacted me the most from this message was there is no such thing as a case that is too hard for God. God is no respecter of persons if you choose life. God is a God of justice, but He's the one who settles the score, not you.” – Bethany

“I can't use my past as an excuse for the way I act. I need to take responsibility for the choices I make. I also can't identify with the past. I learned that I have to keep moving forward, even though healing is a process.” - Kelsie

2 comments:

Dawn Vaculik said...

Awesome word on choices!!!

Michelle :) said...

GREAT message! I love the girls' responses!