Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mercy Graduate Now Pastry Chef…

It’s almost been three years since Tammy graduated from the St. Louis home in 2008. To hear her story of how she went from barely graduating college in 2004 to just graduating from a Culinary Arts school with a 4.0 is inspiring! Tammy came to Mercy struggling with drugs, alcohol, and an eating disorder, but is now living a life of freedom and sharing her testimony with others! I just received this amazing update from Tammy that I wanted to share with you with Tammy’s permission…

Hey Nancy and Mercy Staff!


I just wanted to write and give an update! In less than two months it will be three years since graduating Mercy in St. Louis! I can’t believe how quickly the time has gone! I guess it seems quick because the first part of my life seemed so long. I just kind of floated by and did my best to “fit in” with the crowd, never wanting to stand out, never wanting to overachieve or even succeed. I barely graduated from college back in 2004 and from that point on my life took a turn for the worst. I tried everything from alcohol to drugs to cutting to anorexia/bulimia, everything but God! For four years I held on by a thread and finally made it to January 2008, the beginning of a new life! I walked through the doors of Mercy and life as I knew it became just a memory. I began to experience God in a new and real way, something that I had never experienced before, something I couldn’t even describe with words. I also began to experience people and relationships in a new way. Soon I couldn’t go through the day without smiling because no matter how bad a situation looked, I knew I had a good, gracious and merciful God on my side! I began to see the life God had for me, a life that was so much more than I could ever dream of or imagine! While at Mercy I got the opportunity to work in the kitchen and remembered how much I loved to bake. I had always loved baking while growing up, but kind of lost my passion for it along with my zest for life. God began to bring that passion back to life as well as breaking my heart for the young women who don’t have a voice. After graduating from Mercy, I prayed and decided to go back to school for Culinary Arts specializing in Baking and Pastry.
Tammy with her degrees and award

I am pleased to tell you that over the weekend I graduated from school with my degree in Baking and Pastry, as well as a degree in Dietetics. I was awarded an Academic Achievement Award for having the highest GPA in my major. God has been with me through this whole process, from receiving a full scholarship to graduating now with a 4.0. I am now a pastry chef in a downtown Pittsburgh high-end member’s club, called the Duquesne Club. This avenue has brought me down a different road, but I’m learning to adjust and use the opportunity that God has given me to share with my co-workers the testimony of my life. Every day I have to work with knives, alcohol and food…three things I have struggled with majorly in my past. But everyday God gives me the strength and the will to overcome my past and to continue walking in freedom. Every day I wake up and choose to live life, I choose to make the best of every day, even when it’s hard and even when I make mistakes. I choose life because God has given me this precious gift of life! These past three years have been incredible. Thank you for your diligence and obedience to God’s calling! I love you and am forever grateful to you and all of the Mercy staff who unconditionally love God's girls!


Tammy

A sample of the delicious and beautiful desserts Tammy makes!

Tammy (far left) with the pastry staff at Duquesne Club

Tammy, we are so proud of you!!! To all of our wonderful contributors, your support of Mercy Ministries is an investment in the lives of the young women we serve and we are so grateful for you. Tammy is another life that was changed through your generous giving. THANKS for what YOU make possible!

0 comments: