Friday, May 6, 2011

Mercy Graduate, Rachael, Tells Her Story Of Hope And Transformation...

It is hard to imagine that just two years ago I was homeless, hopeless and addicted to meth. There were many times that I expected the drug to take my life in an overdose, or to be arrested and put away for my involvement in selling it. These were my only options: death, jail, and institutions. Or at least, that’s what I thought. So, by the time I had the opportunity to meet Nancy in May of 2009, I was so physically, mentally and spiritually exhausted from the long, dark road I had been traveling down that I hardly expected her to be able to help me. How did I get here? After all, I had grown up in a loving Christian home, even had a full ride scholarship to Auburn University for gymnastics. How could this have happened?

During the six years that I was addicted to meth and cocaine, I had been in two different rehab facilities, both temporarily changing behavioral problems but neglecting to find the root issues. The bottom line: God wasn’t in it, so there was no lasting change. But when Nancy shared with me about Mercy and encouraged me to apply, there was finally a light at the end of my tunnel! I walked into the Nashville home on February 2010.

That is how God used Mercy Ministries to save my life. I allowed GOD to come in and restore my spirit, soul and body because He is the ultimate Healer and Counselor. I will never forget how relieved I was that He saved me from death and replaced my pain with tears of joy and gratitude. He gave me a NEW life.That is why it is hard to imagine what it used to be like, because the old is gone! Before I graduated from Mercy last February, Nancy was able to connect me with Pastor Debbie Lindell from James River Assembly in Springfield, MO. Today, I am a student at James River Leadership College (JRLC) studying to get an Associates Degree in Leadership. I never would have thought this would be possible. My experience at JRLC has been abundantly more than I could have ever imagined. I have been given the opportunity to share my testimony on several occasions and I also get hands-on experience working with people who have life-controlling issues. This is my passion: to help hurting, broken people see that there is a light at the end of their tunnel. If God has shown me His grace and mercy, everyone else deserves it as well. One thing I will always remember is that it is NOT about me, it is about HIM!

Mercy Graduate, Rachael, with Nancy’s Executive Assistant, Katelyn

1 comments:

Samantha said...

The story of Rachel is one that is, unfortunately, not uncommon. One important factor that stands between Rach's story and the story of others is that she realized the one major factor that was missing in her success over her addiction and that was Jesus!! Rach I, along with may others, knew that you would be victorious over these substances. The road that the devil meant to destroy you, your Father used it to place you where you needed to be to serve him.