Monday, May 30, 2011

She Refused To Be A Statistic Or A Casualty…

First of all, I want to thank all the brave men and women of the various arms of our military services who lay down their lives to protect us every day. I’m so thankful that we have a day we actually set aside to honor those who serve our country in such a sacrificial way. Wherever you are today, I hope you are having a blessed time. If you think about it, say a prayer of thanksgiving and protection for our troops who are still potentially in harm’s way.

Here at Mercy we are oftentimes on the front lines. I received a really cool email from a young girl who almost became a statistic, because she wanted to die rather than continue to live in pain and bondage. However, she found out about Mercy, walked through our doors, graduated the program, and is now celebrating her college graduation. I just got this email a few days ago and thought you should hear it in her own words…

Hey Nancy,
Sheer joy of crossing the finish line!

Exactly one year ago, I was ready to die. College graduation was far from my mind, as I lived in a hellish pit of despair and cycles of sin. I felt stuck and honestly thought that there was no way out. It was exactly at that point that I got accepted to come to Mercy. Not only did I graduate from Mercy, but this weekend, I graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Graduation day for me was not about putting on the Carolina blue cap and gown, singing the Tar Heel fight song for the last time as a student, or taking pictures by the Old Well with my amazing friends (although I LOVE these things!). Instead, it was a sweet reminder of the Lord’s faithfulness. I rested in the sweetness of our mighty God whose love alone can break the power of sin and depression, who sought me out when I was in darkness, and who has given me abundant joy and eternal hope. I never thought life could be this good. I wish I could more accurately express the overflowing gratitude in my heart for how the Lord has used Mercy to really breathe life into me again, but I pray that you’re encouraged and can see a glimpse of my joy in these graduation pictures. Thank you again for all that you and the Mercy staff do!

Love,
Alison, December 2010 Mercy Graduate

Alison (right) with her best friend, Lauren

Alison (center) and her housemates

Alison, I am so glad that you chose to go back and finish your college degree. We celebrate with you and we are so proud of you!!! God has huge blessings in store for you, and I know He will use you in amazing ways! Thanks to all of our monthly partners and financial supporters who helped make this possible!

0 comments: