Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Awesome Graduate Testimony – From Suicidal To Loving Life…

I never get tired of hearing testimonies from Mercy graduates about how God has totally transformed their lives! Kimmy came to Mercy in 2010 struggling with an eating disorder, self-harm, and dealing with the guilt from past sexual abuse. Kimmy just sent me this amazing update to say that she is loving life and living in freedom! I hope Kimmy’s message is an encouragement to you…

I just wanted to update you all on what God has been doing in my life. I graduated from the Louisiana home on March 15th. I came to Mercy wanting to die. I was sexually abused by a close family friend for 10 years and then raped when I was 14 years old, which led to a sexual addiction and self hate. I developed an eating disorder, began cutting, and started beating myself up because of the guilt I constantly felt inside. I felt dirty all the time and like I was a mistake, that I should have never been born. I had a plan to kill myself on my 18th birthday. I had a time, a place, and what I was going to do. My 18th birthday was on July 7th and I am glad to say I was driving to Mercy that day and arrived there on July 8th, 2010. 

I was always labeled the reject of my family. Then when I came to Mercy I was not expecting what happened. God completely intervened in my life. I now know who I am in Christ! I am a new creation, the old is gone!! I learned what to do with those old lies the devil was feeding me and where to tell him to put them! I do not have to be a victim of my past any longer. I know I was not a mistake, I was made in my mother's womb already with a purpose and a destiny! I was always told that God wanted all the things that happened to me to take place. Well that is beyond a lie! He never intended for me to go through any hardship. He did not plan any of it, but He will use it for his glory. 

Upon my return home I started interning at my home church with my pastor! I am currently in school, and my goal is to become a youth pastor some day. I also have gotten a job at a salon doing makeup and being a receptionist, which gives me the opportunity to talk to girls about finding freedom with their image. I truly believe God has put me in this work place to be used by Him in the lives of the workers and clients. My boss pulled me aside after my first week of being on staff and thanked me and said "It's like you are a God send!" I was so pleased because I knew that I truly was a God send. 

I have successfully been taken off my psychiatric meds now and can truly say that now I am living my life 100% with no drugs and loving it. Doctors always told me I would be miserable without medicine and would fall back into depression as soon as I tried getting off of them. Well, I love my life and know that it is only because of God's love for me that I can honestly say I am looking forward to my future and all the other wonderful things God has in store for me!!

Kimmy, we are so proud of you!!!

1 comments:

Lily Jane said...

I love this- I was also told that I would need to be on medication for the rest of my life, but God had other plans. ;)