Wednesday, April 22, 2009

More from Guts Church

I blogged to you Monday about being at Guts Church in Tulsa with Pastors Bill and Sandy Scheer. I spoke about a meeting that was going to take place on Monday night called Guts Girls, which meant all girls ages 13 and up. It was so cool to see how the same message spoke to everyone there whether they were 13 or 93. In Christ, there is no generation gap! I was so overwhelmed by the hunger of those who came and their desire to hear TRUTH. We talked very openly about some of the major issues facing women in today’s society. At the end, it was so cool as I gave women of all ages the opportunity to come forward and make a total commitment of their lives to Christ, and well over 100 people responded. The church staff tried to count, but they say that 100 is a very conservative estimate.

There is no greater joy than to see those who have carried pain, shame, guilt, and condemnation for years choose freedom in an instant. Deuteronomy 30:19 says, “This day I set before you life and death, blessing and cursing. Choose life that you and your seed may live.” Many people in the Christian world talk about generational curses, but through the power of our choice to follow Jesus fully, we can actually start a generation of blessing. Just ask yourself this one question if you are still hanging between two opinions and living with compromise in your life – who is on the other side of my obedience? There are people that you are meant to reach, and that is why God is reaching for you. Not only that, but He wants you to have the very best life that you can live. John 10:10 tells us that the thief comes to steal, kill, and destroy, but Jesus said that I have come that you might have life and have it more abundantly. Make your choice today for the abundant life and watch how God will not only bless you, but others through you.

Speaking of others being blessed, it was my great joy to see quite a few former Mercy residents come to hear me speak while I was in Tulsa. There were several girls there at both Sunday morning services, and quite a few others who came on Monday night. Check out this picture with Brittany, Mercy graduate from a couple of years back.

Also, I had the opportunity to see another former Mercy resident who was in the home in Nashville in 1996 as an unwed mother. She gave birth to a beautiful baby girl that I got to hold – that was 13 years ago, and I actually got to see this little baby as a 13 year old teenager because her mom brought her to see me! It was so amazing to not only see the awesome family and the mature growth of that girl who was once an unwed mother, but to also see how she has raised her daughter to be such a young woman of character.

I just wanted to share some of the joy from my time at Guts Church. I commend Pastors Bill and Sandy Scheer for the tremendous work they are doing. It was so refreshing for me to be there and see the many ways they reach out to the community and serve their city. I’ve heard it said before, “People do not care how much you know until they know how much you care.” To me, Pastors Bill and Sandy Scheer and their amazing staff at Guts Church totally reflect that statement – people are coming to that church because they are seeing how much the people there really do care. To learn more about this amazing church, check out their website at www.gutschurch.com.
Hope you are encouraged in reading this today, and I hope you will make an effort to reach out to someone in your world today who is lonely, in pain, or needs to be encouraged.

God Bless!!

1 comments:

BranchPastor said...

Bill was one of my teachers in High School... he can tell stories of Derek the punk!